Sunderland continued their unbeaten run with a comfortable 2-0 victory at the County Ground to move up to 5th in the League One table.

Charlie Wyke’s first league goal of the season gave Sunderland the lead and a Maguire penalty was enough to give Sunderland all three points and a fourth clean sheet in a row.

Phil Parkinson’s men returned to action following the international break with a trip down to newly promoted Swindon Town.

The two sides met for the first time this century with the last fixture being played at the Stadium of Light in 1999.

With injuries blighting the Sunderland backline, Connor McLaughlin came in for a rare start at right wing-back as Luke O’Nien moved into the back three. Denver Hume wasn’t fit enough to make the squad and Lynden Gooch moved to the left wing-back role.

The lads got off a positive start with three corners in the first five minutes but couldn't yet to test Matej Kovar between the sticks.

Kovar played a terrible pass to Maguire from a goal kick and the Scot tried to pick out Charlie Wyke in the box, but he floated it way over the top a potentially big opening wasted.

The Town goalkeeper was almost caught out by a Grant Leadbitter free-kick from forty-plus yards – the midfielder spotted Kovar off his line and the keeper had to scramble back to tip it behind for a corner.

Coming into the game, Sunderland were having a crisis at the back; it got worse 20 minutes into the game as Jordan Willis was forced off – he was replaced by Jack Diamond with Mclaughlin moving to centre back.

Half an hour into the match the lads had been the better side but hadn’t created any clear-cut chances - the game had become a bit scrappy and stop-start.

36 minutes on the clock and Sunderland took the lead – Gooch crossed the ball in and found Wyke in acres of space who calmly slotted it home. Swindon Boss, Richie Wellens must have been scratching his head at where his defenders were, but Sunderland were quick to pounce with Wyke’s applying the finish.

Sunderland were the dominant team and just before the break, Josh Scowen whipped in a lovely ball looking for Max Power, but it just evaded the Sunderland captain.

Just before the second half got underway Jordan Willis was pictured walking out on crutches - a sight no one involved with Sunderland wanted to see.

Five minutes into half and Swindon were aggrieved that they weren’t given a penalty, but the referee was unmoved and waved play on.

10 minutes into the half and against the run of play Sunderland were awarded a penalty as Maguire cut inside and beat his man and was clearly brought down by Johnathon Grounds. Maguire stepped up and sent Kovar the wrong way to double the lads lead. Swindon were incredibly close to getting a goal back as a free kick was whipped into the box and met by Mathieu Baundry who glanced his header just past the post. The hosts were the more attacking side, but the makeshift back three were defending well and limiting the home side to very little.

With ten minutes to play Sunderland were comfortable and were looking to manage the game and secure the three points as well as another clean sheet.

With a few minutes to play Aiden O’Brien came on for Maguire who had a great game behind Wyke up top.

Swindon should have scored a consolation goal, but Lee Burge denied Hallam Hope. It’s a testament to the Sunderland backline that Hope’s effort in the 92nd minute was the hosts first shot on target.

Full Time: Swindon 0-2 Sunderland

ALS Man of the Match: Chris Maguire