Sunderland’s long away unbeaten run came to an end as the lads threw away a lead with second half horror show, which can’t have impressed the watching Kyril Louis-Dreyfus.

Sunderland got off to the perfect start with an Aiden O’Brien goal but in the second half Sunderland imploded as they conceded twice through Ethan Ebanks-Landell and Harrison Chapman.

Sunderland made a third consecutive trip away in League One with a trip to New Meadow with a trip to Steve Cotterill’s side.

Lee Johnson made two changes with a shock change in goal as Matthews replaced Lee Burge and Jordan Jones replaced Lynden Gooch.

Two minutes into the game and a big blow for Jordan Willis as he went down in some pain holding his knee, the centre half was stretchered off and replaced by Dion Sanderson.

Through the opening 15 minutes, it was a relatively quiet start for the lads who were still finding their feet.

Out of nothing, Sunderland’s first opening resulted in a goal – Charlie Wyke slipped through his partner up top, and the Irishman finished superbly to give the lads the lead.

Despite Sunderland having the lead, it was a very uneventful first half with next to no goal mouth action since O’Brien’s goal.

Shrewsbury’s Chapman made a great run down the right-hand side and tried to find Curtis Main, but Sunderland just about managed to clear after a scramble in the box.

The lads had a flurry of chances late in the half as Jones’ corner dropped to Wyke who had his header cleared off the line; the ball fell to Sanderson who had an effort blocked and dropped back to Jones who couldn't apply the finish.

With Sunderland ahead at the break, they had a special guest casting his eye on the team with potential new owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus in attendance.

Five minutes into the half and Shrewsbury levelled, Matthews, came out and missed the punch clear and was flicked onto Ebanks-Landell who bundled it into an empty net.

The hosts had started the half on the front foot and tested Matthews with Chapman’s which was saved by the feet of the Sunderland stopper.

The lads had finally woken up in the half as the ball dropped to McGeady and from range, he forced Matija Sarkic into a brilliant save high to his left.

From the resulting corner, Bailey Wright had a header well saved by the Salop keeper who smartly denied Sunderland from retaking the lead.

Sunderland should have scored a second after some magical work from McGeady he crossed to Wyke who could only head it over the top – a big miss from a man in form.

The home side almost completed the turnaround as Sean Goss’ corner almost went all the way in and was clawed out by Matthews.

Minutes after almost taking the lead, the home side scored a second as a long ball over to Chapman was dispatched with precision by the winger who got in behind Vokins with ease.

Sunderland were very fortunate not to be 3-1 down; a free-kick from 30-40 yards out looked to have gone all the way in and through Matthews, but the assistant spared his blushes and waived for offside.

The lads should have equalised through Wright who was the furthest man up the field, but he got his header all wrong from close range as it sailed wide.

In added time McGeady tried his luck from a free-kick, but Sarkic did well to save. From the corner the keeper was called into action as he did well to deny Wright.

The referee blew the final whistle and called time on a shambolic second half performance from Johnson’s men.

Full Time: Shrewsbury 2-1 Sunderland

ALS Man of the Match: Aiden O’Brien

Sunderland: Matthews; Power (Diamond 75’), Willis (Sanderson 7’), Wright, Vokins (O’Nien 75); Jones (Gooch 58’), Leadbitter, Scowen, McGeady; Wyke, O’Brien

Subs Not Used: Burge, Maguire & McLaughlin