Sunderland crashed out of the League Cup on Saturday afternoon after losing to Hull City at the SOL on penalties. Despite being the better team for the majority of the game the match finished goalless and went straight to spot kicks. Will Grigg took the first penalty for Sunderland and saw it saved whilst Hull scored all theirs and sealed their position in the next round.

Lee Burge started in goal behind a back three of Willis, Wright and Flanagan. Luke O'Nien and Denver Hume started as wing backs whilst Max Power and George Dobson anchored the midfield. New signing Aiden O’Brien started in a strong looking forward three alongside Chris Maguire and Will Grigg.

We got the game underway kicking towards the Roker End and had an early chance when Power got a sight of goal after good work from Grigg down the right but his looping volley was headed off the line. We then forced a corner which Maguire swung in before O’Nien nodded the ball into the back of the net but the ref ruled it out for a foul on the keeper.

The lads were well on top and should have opened the scoring after a good ball in from the left from Hume eventually fell to Maguire but he stabbed the ball wide of the post. At the other end the visitors won a free kick on the right which was swung in but nodded wide of the post. O’Brien then went close to opening his account for the lads when he latched onto Hume’s cross in front of his marker but the keeper held his shot.

After 15 minutes Hume won a free kick after being bundled over on the left hand side of the box and Sunderland should have scored again. Maguire clipped the ball into the six yard box to O’Nien who had a free header but the keeper somehow kept out his effort. Ten minutes later Sunderland had another great opportunity when Grigg crossed towards O’Brien in the six yard box but O’Brien couldn’t connect on the stretch.

The visitors were forced into a change on the half hour after Eaves hobbled off after a challenge on the half way line and he was replaced by Lewis-Potter. Aiden O’Brien then produced a fantastic piece of skill to leave two defenders for dead and set Will Grigg away but his cross was put out for a corner. Maguire took the set piece but Hull cleared. O'Brien then had another great opportunity after he brought a ball from Maguire down but his shot was dragged wide.

There was three minutes added but no further chances although Fleming was booked for the visitors after a late challenge on O’Nien. Neither side made any changes at the break and Sunderland were immediately on the front foot but Maguire’s effort from the edge of the box was deflected over for a corner which Hull cleared. A moment later the lads had another good chance when O’Nien crossed towards Hume who was unmarked in the box but he nodded over.

With half an hour remaining the lads remained on top without threatening although Hume was booked for a foul. Hume continued to be involved in the action crossing for O’Nien but his header was held by the Hull keeper. We has another goal ruled out with twenty minutes remaining after Grigg turned in a cross from O’Nien but he was adjudged offside by the linesman even though he looked level.

At the other end Hull appealed for a penalty but the ref was having none of it before Parkinson made a double change with Wyke and Gooch replacing O’Brien and Maguire. George Honeyman, on his return to the SOL, had a sight of goal after Hull won a corner but he blazed over from outside the box.

Charlie Wyke fashioned a chance for himself with ten minutes remaining but the keeper got down to hold his low effort. There was four minutes of injury time and Hull forced a corner which Honeyman curled in but we managed to clear. The visitors then won a free kick in a dangerous position after a foul by Hume but Burge punched it clear.

The game finished a stalemate and went straight to penalties.

Will Grigg missed the first one and that was that. New normal same SAFC.

Final Score: Sunderland 0 Hull City 0 - Hull City win on 5-4 on penalties.

ALS Man of the Match: Aiden O’Brien